How to Use Black and Decker Rice Cooker – Full Guide
Across the world, rice is a staple food and is easy to prepare. One can eat it as a meal on its own or as a side dish with preferred cuisine. Rice cookers are especially convenient when producing rice-based recipes due to plenty of different preparation options, and the Black and Decker rice cooker is a great choice to try. This article explains how to use Black and Decker rice cooker, a user-friendly appliance for faster, convenient, and delicious rice and meal cooking.
In this article, we’ve shared different usage instructions, cleaning and maintenance advice, different cooking methods, and some common rice cooker recipes.
Instructions for Black and Decker rice cooker use
Before we proceed further and find out how to use a Black and Decker rice cooker, there are things you need to keep in mind. They are the little details that people often forget, miss, or ignore, and that may cause issues in the future if not followed.
Here are some of the things you should keep in mind before using any rice cooker:
- Always wear oven gloves or potholders: When in use, you should always wear gloves or potholders. The rice cooker can get heated, and handling it without any hand gloves or coverings can burn your hand.
- No need to preheat the rice cooker before use.
- Don’t attempt to prevent the rice cooker from entering the warm mode.
- Always keep the glass lid on the rice cooker. This action will allow the steam to escape through the vent on the lid.
- Don’t place your hands over the vent on the lid. The steam can get really hot, and it can burn your hands.
- Don’t use any spoon or utensils that can scratch the rice cooker’s non-stick bowl. You should use the rice cooker’s accompanying plastic spoon to stir or remove rice or any other food from the cooker.
- Don’t use the rice cooker in the outdoors. Typically, a rice cooker is designed to be used indoors.
- Keep the rice cooker’s cord in a safe place. When cooking, it is not uncommon to have a messy kitchen place, which is why it is important to ensure that the rice cooker’s power cord shouldn’t be lying around anywhere. You should keep it in a safe place when not in use.
- You should cook in the provided cooking bowl. Never try to cook directly in the cooking base in the rice cooker. That will damage the bowl, and you might get an electric shock.
- Don’t let children use the rice cooker. As it is an electronic appliance, the rice cooker should be used either by an adult or under adult supervision.
- To prevent scratching, avoid cutting food straight away in the cooking bowl.
Best Black and Decker Rice Cookers
There are different models of Black and Decker rice cookers in the market. Here, we’ve mentioned some of the best Black and Decker rice cookers and mentioned their most important features.
BLACK+DECKER RCR520S All-in-One Cooking Pot
- 20-Cup Capacity: It means that this rice cooker can hold upto 20 cups of cooked rice. But, when it comes to cooking, you can cook up to 10 cups of uncooked raw rice.
- Slow Cooker: The slow cooker features three heat settings: low, high, and warm, allowing for easy and efficient cooking of low and slow dishes like stews and soups.
- Food Steamer: The food steamer is a versatile tool for cooking healthy and delicious meals, featuring a steaming basket that fits inside the inner pot.
- Sauté Function: The sauté function in slow cookers or rice cookers allows for the browning of meat, vegetables, or other foods, enhancing flavor and depth in your cooking.
- Stirring Function: The rice cooker comes with a detachable stirring arm. When you enable this function, the stirring arm will rotate when cooking for consistent results.
- Auto Keep Warm function: When the cooking is done, the rice cooker will automatically switch to the “Keep Warm” This keeps your rice or food warm.
BLACK+DECKER Rice Cooker 14-cup
- 14-Cup Capacity: This means that the rice cooker can carry up to 14 cups of cooked rice in a single batch. This is sufficient for a large family or gathering.
- Automatic Keep Warm: The “Keep Warm” setting for the rice cooker is automatically set, setting after cooking, ensuring the rice remains warm and ready to be eaten until served.
- Removable Non-stick Bowl: The non-stick bowl is easy to clean, prevents rice from sticking to the pot’s bottom, and is removable, enabling direct rice serving from the cooker.
- Steaming Basket: The steaming basket, included in the cooker, enables simultaneous cooking of rice and vegetables, as well as fish, chicken, and dumplings.
BLACK+DECKER 7-Quart Digital Slow Cooker
- 7- Quarts Capacity: This feature enables the cooking of large meals in one batch, making it ideal for families or gatherings.
- Digital Control: The digital controls are user-friendly and enable precise setting of cooking time and temperature.
- Removable Stoneware pot: The 7-quart is removable from the cooker, which allows for easy cleaning.
- Three Heat Settings: This cooker has low, high, and warm settings. Once cooking is complete, the cooker automatically turns to the warm settings.
- Locking Wires: The locking wires are a great locking system that ensures both the cooker and the removable pot are held together when moving them from one place to another.
- Chalkboard surface: The outer part of the cooker has a chalkboard surface. You can draw or write recipes on the chalkboard surface. For that, the cooker comes with two pieces of chalk.
How to use Black and Decker Rice Cooker to cook rice
The cooking process of rice, which is designed to provide consistent results for both beginner chefs and experienced cooks, can be simplified by the Black & Decker rice cooker.
In this section, we will follow a step-by-step process on how to cook rice using a Rice and Decker rice cooker. It covers different varieties of rice, which are aromatic, from jasmine to nutty brown, and offers a certain degree of assurance in the achievement of perfect results.
Standard Textured Rice
Ingredients: Rice (any variety, e.g., white rice, brown rice, jasmine rice), water, measuring cup, Rice paddle (usually included with the rice cooker)
- Measure out the amount of uncooked rice that you wish to make with the supplied measuring cup. Rinse the rice with cold water if necessary.
- Next, fill the cooking pot of the rice cooker with the uncooked rice.
- Then, add the correct quantity of water by using the rice-to-water ratio of 1:2.
- After that, place the lid over the cooking pot as tightly as possible.
- Now, place the cooking pot inside the rice cooker and then select the appropriate cooking setting depending on the type of rice cooker model you are using.
- To begin your cooking process, press the start
- Once the rice is cooked, after which it has been kept warm and ready to eat for a few hours, the rice cooker will automatically switch into its stay warm mode.
- Before serving, you should gently fluff the rice by using a fork or paddles of rice.
Japanese Style Rice (Sushi Rice)
Ingredients: Sushi rice containing short grains, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Rinse the sushi rice in enough clear water.
- Fill the rice cooker with water and the rinsed rice (usually a 1:1 ratio).
- Turn on the rice cooker to cook the rice.
- To prepare sushi rice, combine rice vinegar, sugar, and salt separately and then fold them into the hot, cooked rice.
Thai Style Rice (Jasmine Rice)
Ingredients: Jasmine rice, water.
- Wash the Jasmine rice thoroughly in clear water.
- Fill the rice cooker with water and rinse the rice in a standard 1:1.25 ratio.
- Turn on the rice cooker to cook the rice.
Middle Eastern Style Rice (Basmati or Jasmine Rice with Saffron and Cardamom)
Ingredients: Basmati or Jasmine rice, water, saffron threads, cardamom pods, and butter or ghee.
- Wash the rice in a strainer until the water is clear.
- Load the rice cooker with rinsed rice, water, saffron threads, cardamom pods, and a dab of butter or ghee.
- Finally, turn on the cooking mode/switch in the rice cooker to start cooking.
How to use Black and Decker Rice Cooker to cook soups or stew
The Black & Decker rice cooker is a multipurpose kitchen tool that can easily produce one-pot meals by cooking a variety of foods, such as soups and stews. Following the below instructions, one can easily make tasty and hearty soups and stews using the versatility of the Black & Decker rice cooker.
Method to Cook Soup or Stew:
- Prepare the cooking dish with the materials you need.
- Put the lid on the pot after securing the cooking bowl into the cooking base.
- When you plug in the appliance, the warm indication light will immediately come on. The appliance will start heating on the warm setting the moment the cable is inserted into the socket.
- Firmly press the control switch. When it’s ready to start cooking, the cook indication light will switch on.
- To keep track of the progress of your cooking, use a kitchen timer. Activate the control switch manually to warm the appliance after the meal has been made.
- After the food is ready, manually warm the rice cooker by setting a kitchen timer. Keep an eye on the cooking process and try to avoid leaving the rice cooker alone since the rice cooker won’t switch to warm until all the liquids have been cooked away.
- After you’re done, switch off the device and let it cool completely before cleaning.
How to use Black and Decker Rice Cooker to steam food
A multipurpose kitchen appliance, the Black and Decker rice cooker can steam a variety of foods along with rice while retaining the flavors and nutrients of the contents, making it a nutritious and efficient cooking method.
Method to Steam Food:
- After setting the cooking bowl on the cooking base, add 1 ½ cups of water to it. And, if preferred, spices.
- Place the food to be cooked within the steaming basket and place it inside the cooking bowl. The basket shouldn’t be in contact with the water in the cooking bowl. While steaming, keep the lid on.
- Connect the appliance, and the warm indicator light will turn on immediately. As soon as the cord is inserted into the socket, the appliance will begin heating on the warm setting.
- Down-press the control switch. When cooking is about to start, the cook indication light will turn on.
- Vegetables and other varieties of food require different amounts of steaming time. After the first five minutes, start testing for completion.
Reminder: While steaming vegetables or other foods in the cooking bowl that do not contain rice, the appliance will not immediately convert to a warm setting.
- After you are done, unplug the device and let the rice cooker cool completely before cleaning.
How to use Black and Decker Rice Cooker to cook rice & steam vegetables
The Black and Decker Rice Cooker is a versatile kitchen appliance that simplifies meal preparation by cooking rice and steaming vegetables simultaneously with a steaming function, making it a convenient and easy cooking option. It’s an excellent tool for creating healthy, balanced meals with minimal effort.
Method to cook rice and steam vegetables simultaneously:
- Place the cooking base and bowl together. Then, add specific measures of dried rice and water.
- You can use fresh or frozen vegetables. The steaming basket should be placed within the cooking bowl together with the meals to be steam-cooked. Put a cover on top.
- Turn down the control button. The cooking will start when the cook indication light turns on.
- Different steaming times. After the first five minutes, start tracking if the food is done.
- If the vegetables are done before the rice, gently take away the steaming basket from the cooking bowl and cover it to keep warm. While the rice starts to cook, promptly replace the cooking pot’s tempered glass lid.
- The control switch will go up and change to the warm option when the rice is done cooking.
- For the best outcome, keep the cover on the rice while it warms up for 15 minutes. This will aid in steaming the rice even more. Before serving, always give the rice a quick stir with the serving spoon.
Keep in mind: The bottom of the bowl may form a thin crust after standing.
Additional Black and Decker Rice Cooker cooking tips
You can make various foods in the Black and Decker Rice Cooker. Some tips and tricks can make it better for you. Some tips regarding certain meals are described below, which you can improvise for some other food items.
Tips for cooking rice
If the rice begins to cook, it suggests adding kosher salt, which dissolves more quickly than table salt, and lifting the lid to stir. Before cooking, add butter or oil to reduce foaming. Brown rice can be kept for up to six months, while white rice can be kept at room temperature for up to a year. The kind and length of the rice’s quality determine its flavor, stiffness, and cooking time.
Tips for cooking chicken
Boneless, skinless chicken breast and thigh pieces can be cooked in a rice cooker. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and herbs can be used to season the chicken, or it can be marinated for a while. You can add veggies like bell peppers, broccoli, or carrots. Internal temperatures should reach 165 F (77 C) after 20 to 30 minutes of cooking. To make cooking chicken easier, use a rice cooker with a separate kitchen timer. This is because the control switch on the rice cooker is not intended as an indicator of cooking time.
Tips for cooking lentils
Green, red, and brown lentils are just a few of the diverse types available. Each variety has an individual texture and cooking time. Among these varieties, green or brown lentils are suggested to be cooked in a rice cooker. Lentils may be easily prepared at low temperatures without pre-soaking. A 2:1 water and rice ratio promotes optimum cooking. Precooked lentils can be cooked in a rice cooker, or leftovers can be cooked in a rice steamer.
Tips for cooking beans
This Rice cooker can cook various types of beans, including black, pinto, kidney, and chickpeas. Pre-soaking beans helps soften them and reduce cooking time. Rice and beans can be cooked simultaneously, but the water ratios must be adjusted. Spices like garlic, onion, bay leaves, cumin, and paprika can be added to flavor the beans. Try different combinations to find your preferred flavor.
Cleaning & Maintenance instructions
Black and Decker rice cooker will last longer and continue to cook rice precisely if it is cleaned properly and taken care of often.
- The first thing to remember is that the rice cooker’s cooking base should never be wet with water or other liquids. Any use of harsh chemicals or scouring pads will damage the base’s surface.
- To clean the base, you need to use a slightly moist cloth or sponge. Then, with that cloth or sponge, you should clean the interior and the exterior of the cooking base.
- However, the glass lid and the cooking pot are dishwasher safe. So, you can use dishwashers to clean them. You should fill the cooking bowl with warm, soapy water if food is stuck to it, and let it soak before using a plastic scouring pad to clean it.
- Before cleaning, always disconnect the rice cooker and let it cool properly.
- Use warm and soapy water to clean the glass cover and the cooking bowl.
- The best is to check and follow if there are any manufacturer’s instructions for any specific maintenance requirement.
- Inspect the power cord frequently for any signs of wear or tear. Replace or repair them if required.
- Provide regular deep cleaning to remove any mineral buildup or stubborn stains.
Troubleshooting common Rice cooker issues
If you face issues with your Black & Decker rice cooker, consult the instruction manual or customer support for better guidance. Regular maintenance and following the recommended troubleshooting techniques can ensure smooth operation and perfect rice cooking. Some of the frequent troubleshooting issues are shared below.
- Rice Sticking to The Bottom: If you see rice sticking at the bottom of the rice cooker, then your rice-to-water ratio was wrong. So, next time you should ensure that you use the correct rice-to-water ratio. Also, you should keep the cooked rice in the warm mode before fluffing it.
- Undercooked or Overdone Rice: To avoid undercooked or overcooked rice, use appropriate cooking conditions and rice variety, adjust water or cooking time, and experiment with desired rice thickness settings.
- Slow Cooking Takes Too Long: Check if the rice cooker is plugged into an active power source for slow cooking, as the duration may be affected if the power source fails to supply the required voltage.
- Problems with The Steamer Basket: To avoid issues with the steamer basket, ensure it’s not overloaded, handle hot items with caution, and provide enough space for proper steaming.
- Display or Control Panel not Working: If your rice cooker’s display or control panel isn’t functioning properly, ensure the power cord is properly plugged in and the power source is working properly.
- The Rice Cooker is Leaking: The rice cooker’s bowl needs to be inserted correctly, the lid closed, and the sealing ring and bowl cleaned regularly. If leaks continue, the cooker may need repair or replacement.
- The Rice Cooker Won’t Turn On: Ensure the rice cooker is turned on and plugged in correctly. Replace the plugged-in connection if it still doesn’t switch on, as it may need repair or replacement.
- Rice Cooker Won’t Stop Beeping: To prevent the rice cooker from beeping, check the timer, lid, and power cord, adjust if needed, and lock the lid. Replace loose or damaged power cords.
- Rice Cooker is Overheating: To prevent overheating in a rice cooker, check the water level, thermostat, and heating element. Replace faulty thermostats and inspect and replace damaged heating elements.
- Rice Cooker Lid not Opening: Wait for the pressure release valve to open, wipe the lid and seal with a moist cloth and mild detergent, and then carefully pull the lid up.
- Rice Cooker is Making a Strange Noise: Strange noises in a rice cooker may occur due to burning rice, faulty heating, or overfilling, so check the pot and replace it if needed. Ensure the cooker is not overfilled.
Key features for Black and Decker Rice Cooker
Black and Decker Rice Cooker has several features along with some key features. These features make this rice cooker unique and more versatile. The key features are-
- Design: Cooking feature panel, short legs, cool feature dark grey side handles, and a clean white outer casing.
- Cook Function: All Black and Decker rice cooker models require a regular electrical outlet. Once the control switch is in the cook position, the cook indication light will turn on.
- Automatic Keep-Warm Feature: This rice cooker automatically switches back to a function that keeps the rice warm once it has finished cooking your rice. The rice is taken care of by this “keep warm” setting until you are ready to utilize it.
- Capacity: The capacity of rice cookers varies, with small cookers producing three cups of cooked rice from one cup of dry rice, while the largest can produce up to 14 cups from 28 cups.
- A Non-stick Bowl: The included rice cooking bowl is non-stick and simple to remove, and it has water level marks for convenience on the inside.
- Plastic spoon and measuring cup: The provided measuring cup should be used alongside the rice cooker’s instructions to ensure the best, fluffy rice, despite not being a genuine cup measure.
Avoid scratching the non-stick bowl to prevent sticking and burning of rice. Use the provided plastic serving spoon to protect the rice cooker insert.
- Indicator Lights: When the rice is cooking, done, and warming, helpful colored lights will let you know.
- Steam Vent: A built-in steam vent in the glass lid allows any extra steam that occurs.
- Integrated Lid Holder: The built-in lid hold, which securely secures the tempered glass lid, is a fantastic feature.
- A cookbook: To get you started with some meal recommendations and encourage you to explore further.
Some simple recipes for Black and Decker Rice Cooker
Black and Decker Rice Cooker has the ability to produce simple and tasty recipes. This rang from one-pot meals to flavourful side dishes. Whether you’re a beginner or a professional cook, these recipes will inspire you to create delightful dishes that your family and friends will love.
CHICKEN VEGETABLE SOUP
- Six cups of chicken stock or broth
- 1.5 pounds of boneless rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups of assorted frozen veggies
- A serving of medium-width noodles.
- ¾ cup of diced onion
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoons of cumin
Ingredients should be combined in a bowl, added to a rice cooker, and cooked for 20 minutes. Adjust the timer and cover the cooker. Cook noodles until tender, then serve immediately with hot garlic bread on the side.
Garlic Butter Rice
- Two cups of white uncooked rice
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice until the water is clear. Fill the rice cooker bowl with the rice, water, butter, garlic, salt, and pepper. Put the rice cooker’s lid on and select the “Cook” option. The rice cooker will automatically change to the “Keep Warm” setting once the rice has finished cooking. Use a fork or the accompanying plastic spoon to fluff the rice before serving.
Chicken and Rice
- 2 cups of white uncooked rice
- 3 cups of water
- 1 lb of chicken breasts (boneless & skinless) cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
First, rinse the rice. Next, heat the olive oil separately in a pan with the chicken. Of course season the chicken with salt and pepper and add onion and garlic. Then, wait until the chicken gets a little brown color. After that, add the rice and water in the rice cooker. Then add the chicken and everything else from the other pan in the rice cooker. Next, mix everything carefully. Finally, start the cooking by turning on the cooking mode. Then, the rice cooker will automatically turn/switch to the “Keep Warm” mode once the cooking is done.
The Black and Decker rice cooker instructions on how to use Black and Decker rice cooker offer an in-depth guide for people to get the most out of this versatile rice cooker. They cover how to steam food, make soups and stews, as well as how to prepare different kinds of rice.
The instructions also signify the need to take safety precautions when the Black and Decker rice cooker is in use. In addition, the article features some of the top Black and Decker rice cooker models with their main attributes so that customers may choose wisely.
More information on how to use the Black and Decker rice cooker offers cooking tips and recipes. Overall, these instructions give consumers almost everything they need to efficiently and innovatively use their Black & Decker rice cooker in the kitchen.
- How to Use Oster Rice Cooker
- How to Use Hamilton Beach Rice Cooker