How to Cook Puffball Mushrooms
Anyone who enjoys cooking and watching cooking shows knows what a gem puffball mushroom is. For most chefs, puffball mushrooms are the king of mushrooms. Puffball mushrooms mostly grow in meadows or under small trees, and sometimes they are seen growing on rotten wood. This leads to most people avoiding them.
The process of cooking these mushrooms is a bit different from the rest. This is why, in this article, we will share with you how to cook puffball mushrooms. In fact, we won’t just share one recipe but multiple recipes. Additionally, there will be a bunch of other information regarding puffball mushrooms.
What are puffball mushrooms?
Puffball mushrooms are basically a type of mushroom that mostly grows in central and eastern USA and Canada. They mostly grow during the fall and late summer seasons. They are incredibly delicious when cooked properly, and not only are these mushrooms delicious, but they also have medicinal benefits. The spores of this mushroom are known to help stop any type of bleeding.
Puffball mushrooms have a completely white body, but sometimes the color turns a bit creamy. They are a lot bigger than other mushrooms and tehir sizes can vary from the a golf ball to a water melon. Mostly, these mushrooms are round; however, sometimes they are pear-shaped.
Can you eat puffball mushrooms?
Giant puffball mushrooms are safe to eat. However, there are some concerns to keep in mind. Some people claim that these mushrooms have no detectable flavor of their own and they just absorb the flavors of the spices and ingredients they are cooked with, which makes it a lot like tofu. Also, there are others who claim that puffball mushrooms have a deep, earthy, and nutty flavor.
If the inside of the mushroom is a greenish-yellow color, then throw the mushroom away as it is rotten. When the flesh of the mushroom is completely white, that is when you know that the mushroom is okay to eat.
How to cook puffball mushrooms – Five amazing recipes
Puffball mushrooms can taste absolutely amazing when they are cooked the right way alongside other ingredients. So, here are five amazing recipes that you can follow to cook puffball mushrooms and make them taste absolutely mouthwatering:
Recipe #1: Fried puffball mushrooms
If you are just starting to learn how to cook puffball mushrooms, then fried puffball mushrooms are a recipe you should definitely try. Once the mushroom is fried, the softness of the mushroom is no longer there, which enhances the taste of the mushroom tremendously.
If you want a simple and easy puffball mushroom snack that you can whip up in 30 minutes, then this is the recipe for you!
Things you will need for the recipe:
- Cast iron skillet or 10-inch frying pan
- Some mixing bowls
Ingredients you need for fried puffball mushrooms
- Fresh puffball mushrooms- 8oz
- Kosher salt- 1 tsp
- Fresh ground black pepper- ½ tsp
- Flour- 1 ½ cups
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Eggs- 3 pcs
- Cooking oil
- Lemon juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh basil
There are a few things you need to do before you start the actual process. The first thing you need to do is preheat the oven. So, set the oven to 225 degrees or to a warm temperature. And the other thing would be to take three eggs and beat them properly with a splash of half and half.
Step 1: Combine the flour and the salt
Now, you need to mix the flour and the salt together. Finely ground salt is also preferable.
Step 2: Slice the puffball mushrooms
Then, take the puffball mushrooms and slice the root end. Check for any damage done by bugs at the root of the mushroom. Make sure that the flesh of the mushroom is completely white. If the flesh is a greenish yellow, then it is no longer edible. Use a sharp knife to cut the mushroom into ½ inch or so slices.
Step 3: Coat & dip the mushroom slices
The next step is to coat the slices of mushrooms properly in the flour and salt mixture. Then, dust off the excess mixture and dip the mushroom pieces in the eggs that have been beaten previously. Afterward, dip the mushroom pieces in panko breadcrumbs.
Step 4: Heat up the cooking oil in the skillet or the pan
Then, heat up some cooking oil in the cast iron skillet or frying pan. When the oil is heated enough to sear a breadcrumb in it, then add all the slices of mushroom in it.
Cook the mushrooms till they are completely golden brown on both sides. Keep a close eye on the heat. Also, lower it slightly to make sure that the mushrooms don’t burn.
Keep a close eye on the quantity of oil in the pan. Breadcrumbs absorb a lot of oil. So, if you don’t keep an eye on the pan, it will become dry. You have to add more oil to the pan if it becomes dry.
Step 5: Move the mushrooms from the pan to the oven
Once the mushrooms are golden brown, pick them up and place them on top of a cookie sheet with a resting rack in a preheated oven. This trick will prevent heat from being trapped inside the mushroom and steaming the crispy crust of the mushroom until you are done with everything else.
Step 6: Present the puffball mushrooms
Once the mushrooms are done frying, be sure to sprinkle some freshly ground pepper and splash on some olive oil on top.
Recipe #2: Puffball mushroom pizza
If you are extremely health-conscious and on a low-carb diet, then puffball mushroom pizza is the recipe that you are looking for to satiate your pizza cravings. Puffball mushrooms work amazingly as the crust of a pizza, and it accentuates the flavors of pizza toppings even more. So, here is a puffball mushroom pizza recipe so that you can make it any time:
Things you will need to make this recipe:
- A sharp knife
- An oven
Ingredients for a puffball mushroom recipe
- Giant Puffball Mushroom
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- ¼ cup
- Pizza sauce (Homemade/storebought)- 1 cup
- Mozzarella cheese- 4 cups (You can add more cheese if you want your pizza to be extra cheesy)
- Pizza toppings
Cooking instructions for puffball mushroom pizza
- The first thing you will need to do is preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Then, cut a large puffball mushroom into 3-inchesthick circles using a knife.
- Next, brush both sides of the mushroom with oil.
- Then coat the top of the puffball mushroom rounds with sauce and drizzle shredded mozzarella on top.
- Choose and add your own toppings.
- Then, add more mozzarella on top.
- After that, bake the mushroom pizza for 15-20 minutes or until you can see the cheese is bubbling.
- Finally, cool the pizza for 5-10 minutes after taking it out of the oven.
Recipe #3: Puffball mushroom burgers
Puffball mushrooms are the best substitutes for burger patties. They are low in carbs and, overall, incredibly healthy. These puffball mushroom burgers taste amazing as well, and they are incredibly nutritious. The wild puffball mushroom burgers with a Cheesy crust are a wonderful substitute for the typical vegetable burger.
Here’s how you can easily make your own puffball mushroom burgers:
Things you will need for the recipe:
- Sharp knife
- Frying pan or a cast iron skillet
Ingredients to make puffball mushroom burger
- Puffball mushroom
- Flour- 100g
- Sea salt- 1 tsp
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Finely grated parmesan cheese- 50g
- Butter (a knob)
- Olive oil (a drizzle)
- 4 Crusty sourdough rolls
- Burger toppings & garnishes
Cooking instructions for puffball mushroom burger
- The first step is to cut the puffball mushrooms into round slices.
- Then, remove the skin from the slices by making a small cut in the skin. Because of this cut, the skin of the mushrooms will easily peel away.
- Now, get a large bowl that can hold the pieces of the mushrooms.
- Then, combine the mushroom slices with salt, pepper, and flour.
- Get another similar-sized bowl and beat the egg with a splash of water.
- Next, grab a third bowl and add the finely grated parmesan cheese.
- Now, get a cast iron skillet or a frying pan, add oil, and melt the knob of butter over medium to low heat.
- Then, one at a time, mix the pieces of mushroom slices in the seasoned flour, then the egg, and finally the parmesan cheese. Be sure to push the cheese onto both sides to help the cheese stick to the mushroom.
- Fry the mushroom slices until the cheese turns into a golden color and the mushroom is cooked thoroughly. This will take roughly 5 mins on each side.
- Place the mushroom slices on a paper towel to get rid of the extra oil. Put some freshly ground pepper on the mushroom slices.
- You can garnish the burger with tomato slices, onion slices and lettuce. In order to improve the taste, you can also add different types of sauces.
Recipe #4: Puffball Alfredo sauce
Puffball mushroom alfredo sauce is a very uncommon dish; however, it is a crowd-pleaser. It takes about 20 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes to cook, and then you end up with a creamy, delicious alfredo sauce that is incredibly healthy.
The puffball mushroom gives a twist to your classic Alfredo sauce and makes it more sophisticated. Here is how you can make a puffball alfredo sauce:
Things you will need for the recipe:
- A blender
- A pan
Ingredients for the sauce
- Dried puffball mushrooms- 1.5 oz (or 2 cups of powdered mushrooms)
- Dry white wine- 1/3 cup
- Heavy cream or half & half – 2 cups
- All-purpose flour- 3tbsp
- Strong homemade chicken stock (separated)- 1 ½ cups + ½ cups
- Salt- ½ tsp (or more to taste)
- Large garlic cloves-
- Unsalted butter (separated)- 4tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Grated parmesan cheese- 3 oz (more for finishing)
Cooking instructions for the sauce
- First, take the dried puffball mushroom or the mushroom powder in a pan.
Then, add ½ cup of homemade chicken stock.
- Now, bring the mixture to simmer until the pan is dry.
- Next, add the butter to the mix for 3-4 minutes.
- Now, add the garlic and stir for one minute.
- Then, add the flour and stir for one minute.
- After that, add the white wine and, this time, stir more vigorously until the entire mixture becomes thick.
- Now, add the half and half, the remaining chicken stock, and the salt. Then, bring it all to a simmer and whisk constantly. It will appear clumpy, which is fine.
- When the whole mixture is hot and steaming, then heat it for another minute or two.
- After that, transfer the entire thing into a blender and add the parmesan cheese.
Pureeing the sauce
- Once you have added the whole mixture to the blender, you need to puree the entire thing.
- Start at low speeds and then move up to high speeds. Do this until the mixture is very smooth.
- Next, taste it and adjust its seasonings if required.
- Once everything is ready, pour the entire sauce into a container and let it cool.
Recipe #5: Puffball mushroom lasagna
If you are looking for a way to cut the carbs out of your diet but you keep craving lasagna, then puffball mushroom lasagna is perfect for you. Here’s how you can cook puffball mushroom lasagna:
Things you will need for the recipe
- 9-inch pie dish
Ingredients for the puffball mushroom lasagna
- Puffball mushroom- 1 lb
- Flavorless cooking oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Can of whole peeled tomatoes- 32 oz
- Minced garlic- 1 tbsp
- Diced onion- 1pc
- Olive oil- ¼ cup
- Large basil leaves- 2-3 pcs
- Dry white wine- ¼ cup
- Unsalted butter- 3 tbsp
- Flour- 3tbsp
- Whole milk- 2 cups
- Grated parmesan- ¼ cup
- Nutmeg (a pinch)
- Spinach- 1 lb
- Ricotta cheese- 1 lb
- Egg- 1pc
- Mozzarella- ½ lb
- Grated parmesan- ¼ cup
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat up the oil with onions and garlic.
- Now, cook them over the oil until they become nearly transparent on medium heat.
- Now, add the tomatoes, dry wine, salt, basil, and red pepper flakes.
- Then, cook the entire thing for 30 minutes.
- While the mixture is still hot, carefully puree it in a high-speed blender, then drain the strainer and set aside until you need it.
- First, melt the butter, then slowly add the flour to make a roux.
- Simmer it on a medium-low flame until it smells toasted.
- Then add the milk in four separate ¼ cup portions.
- Slowly whisk it carefully to make sure the milk is mixed properly before adding the next ¼ cup.
- When all of the milk has been poured, and the mixture has thickened well, take it off the heat and stir in the salt and nutmeg according to taste, followed by the parmesan. Place the sauce in a jar to cool.
For this, the spinach you use needs to be blanched in salted water and then shocked in an ice bath. Next, it needs to be drained well and finely chopped. Once that is done, mix all the ingredients in the spinach-ricotta filling.
Assembling the Puffball Lasagna
- The first thing you need to do is cook the mushrooms with butter rubbed on them, and you can cook them on a cast iron skillet.
- Remember, the mushrooms need to be peeled and cut into ½ inch slices.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place tomato sauce and bechamel on a baking dish.
- Afterward, just place the slices of mushroom on top, then just put some spinach filling, then add more tomato sauce and bechamel on top and add another layer of mushrooms.
- End it with a sprinkle of cheese and bake it in the oven for 45 minutes until the top is golden brown.
How to identify puffball mushrooms
Identifying puffball mushrooms is actually pretty easy. These mushrooms don’t have any gills. They usually look like incredibly spongy balls when they are young, and they tend to get bigger as they age. They are easy to notice as they are quite large in size.
These puffball mushrooms look incredibly different from most other mushrooms, so they are easy to identify. You can easily spot them on wet ground or on rotting wood.
How to store puffball mushrooms
Storing a puffball mushroom is pretty simple. You can dehydrate it and keep it sealed in a jar. To dehydrate a puffball mushroom, all you need to do is use a dehydrator rack or cook them in the oven at low heat until there is no moisture in them.
You can also store them in a paper brown bag for up to 7-10 days. Sautéing them and keeping them in a container is also a good idea.
Puffball mushroom health benefits
Puffball mushrooms are known to have a ton of potassium in them, and they are great for your health. The potassium in the puffball mushroom is incredibly helpful in maintaining heart health and healthy blood pressure. These mushrooms also have a ton of antioxidants in them, which is helpful in protecting the body against cellular damage.
Other than that, puffball mushrooms also aid in treating bleeding. They promote blood clotting and tremendously help with healing all sorts of wounds. They also prevent infections when used on open wounds.
If you are curious about how to cook puffball mushrooms, then by reading this article, you can put all your curiosity to rest. This article contains all that you need to know about puffball mushrooms.
In this article, we have talked about different puffball mushroom recipes, like frying them and using them in pizza, burger, lasagna, or sauce. Along with that, we have also answered how you can store puffball mushrooms, the health benefits of these mushrooms, and a lot of other additional information.